Recycled raised garden bed

Welcome to the second installation of my garden makeover. 

Whilst I sat in my newly installed seating area pondering over what to tackle next my eyes were drawn to the erm.... compost bins (not pleasant)!!  First thing first, change the view! So that's exactly what I did.


I decided my focal point was going to be a flower bed positioned in the middle of the garden set against the back hedge. I dug up the existing stones and pebbles, which were moss and weed ridden, right down to the weed control fabric (luckily this had already been laid by previous owners and was still in top condition). The earth under this was so compact it was unworkable (for me) so I opted for a raised bed. 


I love to recycle, so given any opportunity I jump all over it! I had some old tree stumps and branches in the garden which I was saving for a project like this. Chopped to fit and "Voila", a raised bed! I lined the bed with weed control fabric and stapled it into place. Happy days :)


I dug up the surrounding stones and pebbles and repositioned the paving stones to create a pathway along the front of the flower bed.


Scoured the local garden centres for plants, looking for height and colour. I filled the bed with multi purpose compost and positioned the plants in place.


After surrounded the paving stones with pebbles the look was complete! 

New focal point complete. Love my garden.


TIP: Cats love to dig up these stones and use it as a cat litter. Crush up a garlic clove, add this to a litre bottle of water and leave to soak overnight or longer. Add to watering can and sprinkle over the stones. This should deter them.  Repeat as necessary.




Comments