Crochet Snowflake Christmas decorations

Christmas is upon us and I don't know about you but I always feel the need to make something. Last year I made tartan scented hearts, filled with cinnamon, dried orange peel and cloves. This year I'm making crochet snowflakes. 

I used a 3.5mm crochet hook 
Various shades and textures of wool
Mod Podge Matt finish (to stiffen)

Level: Beginner/easy

I started off with a Snowflake pattern by HappyBerry Crochet which I found on Youtube and then I went freestyle once I got the hang of it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi31tdHVH3E







This snowflake is a slightly smaller version of the HappyBerry one. Instead of chaining 8 for the pointy spikes I chained 5, the same as the other points, making it a rounder snowflake. 







This cream snowflake only has two rounds. Start the first round with 12 double crotchets into a magic circle (as before). The second round starts 3 chain, slip stitch into the 2nd chain, chain 2 and slip stitch into the next stitch on the round. Continue this pattern until you reach the last stitch on the circle. Finish with a slip stitch and finish. I like to leave a long tail so that I can make a loop for hanging.




You can even layer them up...




To stiffen I sponged Mod Podge Matt finish onto both sides of the snowflake, letting each side dry before doing the reverse. 

These would look great hung on your Christmas Tree, or tied together on a garland or hung on cupboard/door handles. They make such a pretty addition to any home.

Merry Christmas x

Comments