Singer versus Jones'



I love a vintage sewing machine. I had a Singer handed down to me which until recently took prime position on my midcentury teak cabinet. Then I stumbled upon a Jones'. A beautiful model which was so pretty I had to demote the Singer to my bedroom so that I could showcase the Jones' instead.



I love the history of vintage pieces and couldn't resist finding out about these beautiful machines. 

I had no idea where to start but a quick google search helped me on my way. Singer and Jones' sewing machines both have a serial number engraved on a small metal plate.


To date the Singer I went on the Singer website http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers . Follow the advice and it links you to a table showing the year your machine was issued.

The Singer I have is a 1957 issue, complete with case, table and an anti-slip mat.

The Jones' was harder to date as there was no official website. I found these websites really helpful

I couldn't find a definitive date for the model I have but Jones' started using the Queen Alexandra stamp around 1914. Looking at pictures on various sites mine looks to be a thirties issue.  Hopefully I will find out more about it as my vintage journey continues.





I love incorporating vintage pieces into my home especially beautiful ones like these.















         

Comments