Upcycling bedside cabinets: Day 1

Things started off relatively easy by emptying contents of both cabinets onto bed. I dusted off my hands all the while feeling optimistic. It's a beautiful sunny day so ideal weather for doing an 'outside' job. I got my screwdriver and removed all the handles.





After lugging the cabinets into the garden and positioning on a dust sheet I applied a thick coating of the suspicious looking gloopy varnish stripper all over the dark brown varnished surfaces. The gloop smells like aniseed, which I like, but is this stuff toxic? Probably. I debated whether or not to put a mask on. I decided against it as I'm outside in the open air, plus it would mean stopping mid flow and rummaging around to find one. 




Left to work for 30 minutes, as per instructions, and then had to decide whether or not to apply a second coat. I had a little scrape, some came off but some wouldn't budge. I smeared paste back on and applied more gloop. Ok so now it started to get messy and sticky, it's like handling brown treacle. When treacle is warm it slides easily off your spoon like how varnish softens when it's had sufficient gloop on but when treacle cools down it sticks like glue. You get the idea. I was having serious doubts but I powered on.  

Scraped off as much as I could with a wallpaper scraper, wiping the gunk onto something disposable. I opted for an old newspaper which then proceeded to take off down the garden. I chased and caught it before it had chance to stick to my washing which was drying nicely on the line and proceeded to weight said paper down. I got more paper, wiped off more gunk, got more paper, wiped off more gunk, repeat, repeat, repeat. When it comes off easily I actually quite enjoy it but it isn't the case, some just won't budge. I observe that when the varnish starts to look like tiger bread (mottled effect) it has worked it's way into the varnish and comes away nicely. The gunk is getting all over the scraper and up the handle and I have to keep washing my hands as I'm not sure it's a good idea to have it on my skin. Probably not, so halfway in I grab a pair of waterproof gardening gloves. Much better.


Next, time to get the wire wool and some water and scrub all the awkward bits. I only had fine wire wool and it wasn't cutting it. I headed to my nearest DIY shop to find it's actually quite expensive and you don't get much for your money, 3 small handfuls for £2.99. The last lot I bought was a nice big 200g bag from Wilko's for 99p and I'm still using it. Anyway live and learn. I know where I will be shopping next time.
The medium grade wire wool managed to last for both cabinets (only just, I might add). 


I dunked the wire wool into a bucket of water and scrubbed the cabinets top to bottom. I wasn't convinced this would work but it seems that adding the water to the steel wool activates any varnish stripper residue on the cabinets and gives a clean finish. That is to the areas that had enough varnish stripper on to start with. I can clearly see where I have been (a) stingy with gloop (b) not left gloop on long enough or (c) left gloop on too long and it dried whilst I was out. Who knows?

Oh well, tomorrow I will have a go at sanding them down and see if that does the trick. Which reminds me, I need to borrow an electric sander.

Until next time x



Comments