Upcycling bedside cabinets : Day 2

As I entered the kitchen this morning I was greeted by yesterdays smell of varnish stripper fumes. I thought it was a good idea to store the cabinets in the house ~ whoops.  Had a bite to eat and after texting a reliable DIY source I was able to locate an electric sander but it wouldn't be with me until late afternoon. I don't like waiting, who does, especially now I'm all amped up and ready to get moving on this project. So, I got out my sanding block, strips of coarse sandpaper, I even put on my attractive SARS mask and then I added some elbow grease to the mix. An hour later, maybe less, and the cabinets were looking good. I sometimes surprise myself! I brushed the dust off, (mask definitely a good idea at this point), wiped said cabinets down with a damp cloth and left to dry. Note: all this was done in the garage. I would not recommend doing this in the house, you will be dusting for the rest of eternity.

I had been pinning multiple pins of furniture/paint ideas on pinterest last night to get some idea of what colour I was going to use. My bedroom is neutral, I like a calm space to sleep. I have some wooden furniture already, I think it's oak and I don't want anything that clashes or is too same~y. I really want to try Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, Country Grey or Cream look good. Why I didn't decide on this before stripping the cabinets bare I will never know, 'no stripping or sanding needed' {long sigh}. 

For anyone who is thinking of using this chalk paint I've got to tell you this stuff is hard to get hold of. You can't just pop to your local DIY shop and grab a tin, Annie is very selective about who gets to sell her stuff. 

A few weeks ago whilst out shopping with a friend I discovered one of my fave vintage shops had shut up shop. Very sad about this. Anyway, in it's place was a fancy pants paint shop which at the time I was not so pleased about and actually remember turning my nose up at it. Well, it turns out this shop is a stockist of Annie's paint and all her other wares. I took a trip down there today and I must say it was a very pleasant experience. The lady working there was totally clued up on Annie's lotions and potions and gave me loads of tips on how to use the paint, wax and anything else I threw her way. I went away feeling very optimistic about this job. 

Due to stripping the cabinets bare I needed to apply a knotting solution to the knots in the woodwork. I'm hoping that this will avoid any seepage later, really important as the colour I chose was Cream. I left this to dry overnight so no Sloan painting today.

I'll let you know how my first Sloan paint job goes later in the week.

Until next time x 



Comments