Upcycling bedside cabinets : Day 3 - 4 - 5

Day 3 ~ First coat of Annie Sloan applied.

Today I finished work as usual and came home to glorious sunshine. First 'proper' heatwave of 2015 by my reckoning as it's the only day I've felt brave enough to wear shorts. Opted to do the painting in the garage as the flies were swarming outside and they seem to gravitate towards fresh paintwork. Plus it really is a scorcher here and I haven't acclimatized yet.

Gave the tin a good shake then used a stick (bamboo cane) to stir tin thoroughly. Watered it down as recommended by the lady at the paint shop and used a tapered synthetic brush to splash on the watery white wash. I'm going for the vintage look so applied haphazardly - worked for me! Took about half an hour in total, so popped my dinner in the oven while I worked.

Left to dry overnight and I must say it gave good coverage especially as it was only a whitewash. My critical eye would say it looks a dogs dinner, but hey it's only the first coat. I'll keep an open mind until I get to the finish line.






Day 4  ~ Second coat of Annie Sloan.

Had an early finish today which meant, after meeting a friend for lunch, I could come home and get stuck in with the next coat of Sloan.

Applied the paint straight from the tin this time (full fat). Painted it on thickly, varying the brush strokes and doing some stippling, and left to dry overnight.

Day 5 ~ Clear wax

Cream-crackered today but I need these cabinets finished. The contents, mainly beauty products, are strewn all over my bedroom floor and it's starting to look like the room's been ransacked. As a neat freak this is causing me serious anxiety.

Opened the tin of wax expecting to find it clear and runny but instead it was white and solid. Stuck the brush into the wax and found it was relatively soft and pliable so was easy working it into the bristles. Brushed it onto the cabinets in sections, a side at a time, making sure to polish as I went with an old rag.



Staring to looking good! All that's left is a bit of distressing with some dark wax and sandpaper.

That's a job for another day as I'm ready for a lay down x





Comments

Post a Comment