Sustainable Clothing

Wouldn't it be wonderful to live a more sustainable life?

I've been intrigued by this concept for a while now and have already adopted some positive changes in my daily life, buying second hand, using less plastic, being more economical around the home. It's one of the reasons I started buying vintage for my home and it's the main inspiration behind the things I make.

I'm not one for fast fashion but I do like my clothes and having multiple outfit choices. This year I've made the decision not to not buy new, I am only buying second hand clothing (aside from underwear, that would be taking things a step too far!)  Already this year I've bought some gorgeous clothing for myself and my daughter from online auction sites.

Just because you buy second hand clothing doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your style for the sake of the environment. Personally it has got me thinking more about my look and making bolder choices with the outfits I put together, plus it saves me money which is always a bonus. My most recent purchase is a faux fur leopard print coat which I bought from Ebay and I am in love with it.

Brown Leopard Print Faux Fur Coat

It has a vintage feel and I can't wait to wear it this year. I would love to fill my wardrobe with more vintage items but I'm a petite size 8 and find it hard to buy vintage clothing to fit (I don't really want to pay extra for alterations).  So this year I'll be tackling this head on and trying out some dressmaking, eeek! I'll share some of my attempts on the blog in the coming months.

As well as dressmaking I am trying my hand at knitting my own clothes. I was inspired by some vintage knitting patterns I found online, this 1940's russian jacket was my first pattern.

1930's Golden Eagle 64 PDF Knitting Pattern  Vintage Coat

It wasn't the most straightforward knitting pattern I could have chosen to start off with, needless to say there was a lot of unravelling but it turned out pretty well in the end so expect more of this.

I'll be documenting my upcoming projects so pop back again soon to find out how I'm getting on.

CraftyPollard 









Comments