How To Paint Your Veneer Furniture - Renew Rather Than Buy New

Renew rather than buy new, just like I've done with this Shoe Storage Cabinet. It has taken a lot of bumps and bashes over the years and was covered in scuffs.  I was considering replacing it as I wasn't sure how effective painting veneer was (only being able to lightly sand doesn't give much of a key for the paint to grip to). I am pleased to report I have been delighted with the durability of the finish on the painted cabinet. Over the past 6 months it's been splattered with mud from our dog, propped up muddy boots and bumped and knocked whenever we leave the house but so far it's yet to receive even a chip!

What the cabinet looked like when I bought it:-



To achieve the finish I have now I wiped it down with sugar soap and then lightly sanded. 

I used GoodHome Matt Specific Project Paint (2 x tester pots £3 each) in North Pole on the top and sides using a mini roller for gloss paint. I let it dry for 12 hours before applying a second coat.

For the doors I used Colour Courage chalk paint (tester pots £3 each) in Oro and Beach Pebble and painted the front and sides of each door. Again letting it dry for 12 hours before applying the second coat. I applied a third coat just to make sure the colour didn't turn out patchy.    

For the final step I painted everything with Ronseal satin varnish to seal the paint so that it wouldn't absorb stains and would be wipeable. I used a paintbrush for this and applied 2 coats, with a 12 hour gap between coats.

Then I just added the handles which I already had in my stash (originally purchased through ebay). I receive lots of compliments on this now, it really brightens up the space.


I hope this inspires you to renew, rather than buy new.




Comments