A Bathroom Revamp Without Splashing The Cash



WOW With A Statement Wallpaper  


If like me you only have a small budget then updating your bathroom won't include fitting a brand new suite or re-tiling.  As my bathroom is decorated in neutral shades I decided to make a feature wall using a statement wallpaper. As this was my first attempt at papering a wall I did what most people do and  watched some YouTube videos for tips.

What I used:-
Arthouse Tropical Palm Wallpaper B&M £8.99
Solvite All Purpose Wallpaper Adhesive, Poundland £1
Pasting table, wallpaper hanging brush and pasting brush, cutting blade (all borrowed)

Make Your Own Shelving 


To make the most of the limited space I wanted to have shelving, but without making the bathroom look too cluttered. I decided to make rustic wood shelving using wood offcuts left over from a garden project and some rusty brackets I made (as detailed in my previous wall ladder post). I cut the wood to size, lightly sanded rough edges and applied a clear wax to seal. Using the corner brackets I attached the wooden shelves to the wall in the space above the window blind. Finally I added lots of fun accessories. Not only does this fill an otherwise neglected part of the wall it also creates instant drama when you enter the room.

What I used:
Rough sawn wood planks from local timber yard
Galvanised corner brackets  - given a rusty finish (click here to read how I did this)

Add A Shelf Above Your Toilet Roll Holder


I also used the same method to make a small shelf above the toilet roll holder, adding interest in an unlikely place. Why not?

 Repurpose Existing Furniture

I had a seagrass storage tower that had become obsolete after the under sink cabinet was fitted last year. Instead of binning it I decided to give it another function in the bathroom. I took out the drawers and reused them in the cabinet downstairs. I unravelled the remaining seagrass twine from the metal frame (which I will reuse at some point) before attaching chicken wire to the back and sides of the frame to create industrial style towel storage. I attached this to the wall using a flat mending plate.

What I used:
Existing seagrass storage tower 
Flat mending plate x 2

Accessorise your space

I've utilised my small space by installing a ceiling hook and hanging plant to create interest in an otherwise empty corner.

Using natural materials like wood, glass and pottery have given the bathroom a raw, earthy feel I associate with the outdoors. To compliment this I've added an abundance of plants creating a tranquil space for us to relax.

Candles and other useful objects such as mirrors fill my walls and shelves.


Renew rather than buy new!

Comments